Custom Search

Thursday, February 21, 2008

FIRED! For 25 Cents a Page

Someday, I will be able to fully understand why it is that every time a lunar event happens the whole world goes cattywhompus.

Yesterday, about an hour after I arrived, a person came in. He requested a copy of the City's parks plan, which is approximately 46 pages long. The plan has been available online for free for three months now, downloadable to anyone that so seeks it. However, if you wish for one of us to print it off for you it will cost 25 cents a page-- or roughly $10.00.

Unfortunately, either this person does not get the point, or is just stubborn. Every time he comes in, I have explained this to him only to have him get huffy and stomp out of the building.

Yesterday, he came in seeking the same document&183; and I explained once more that it was available for free online or $10.50. He turned red and started getting REALLY mad! So mad, that his parting words to me were a very sarcastic, "You just have fun today because I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure you keep your job!" Slam! and out the door he went.

After my initial irritation, I called my husband to tell him that it was highly possible that I would lose my job (to which he responded that I should have handed him a list of phone numbers and contact names, but that's another story).

And then I started laughing because, as far as I know, I will have been the only person to ever get fired for charging 25 cents a page.

I didn't lose my job, of course, but the Mayor's wife did call. I wonder what she said to my boss...

No comments:

Post a Comment