Custom Search

Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Early Morning Memory

It was 15 years ago. We were at a movie theatre getting ready to watch I don't know what. Knowing the two of us, however, it was probably the latest horror flick. It was evening and a spur of the moment decision just to go somewhere.

We walked into the theatre early, only about 30 people were in the lobby, and decided to get popcorn. I forget what the reason was, but he didn't want to approach the counter so I did the ordering by shouting back at him and asking what he wanted. The girl that helped us was friendly and smiling at the banter we were dishing out.

I don't know that I remember a lot of what she looks like. I know she had brown hair and a nice smile but in my quick assessment I wasn't going to drool over her.

Shawn and I took our stuff and went to find the perfect spot to sit. We had the entire room to ourselves so it wasn't difficult to get the center of the screen, 3/4 of the way up. That's when it began-- the argument. It had something to do with him wanting me to go and "feel the girl up" to see if she'd be a perfect match for him.

Now this person was generally the most arrogant person on earth when it came to women. His answer to most declarations of love was to respond to the girl "Yeah... so does every body else." So I dismissed the idea and told him that he could go feel up his own women, noting that she wasn't that good looking. At least, not good looking enough for me to swing that way for him!
This discussion between us played on a loop over and over again. The same thing said 100 different ways until we were both giggling and throwing popcorn at each other to make our point. The theatre was filling up with people who couldn't help but over hear our conversation and were doing their best to conceal the fact that they were laughing. It lasted until the lights went out and the movie came on. Both of us smiling and content. Cuddled against each other for the night.

Sometime later, he planted a kiss on the top of my head and nuzzled my hair.

There are mornings when I will wake up, the smell of popcorn lingering in my senses. I'll stretch slowly not wanting to break that magic spell that memory can weave. But it always happens. Morning will creep in and my heart will start to ache because as I get up to go to the shower I can still feel the impression of his lips as they kissed my head.

I think every good friendship has that one perfect moment in it that you are bound to remember forever. This was ours. We were so comfortable with each other. Time stood still and my memory took a snapshot. Years went by and we drifted apart as most people do, but there are some days when missing him can break me down for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment