Custom Search

Monday, June 16, 2008

Sticker Shock

Due to a long series of events at work, I find myself seriously contemplating a career change. So, this weekend, I did some research on online courses, college courses, and paths that I might take to get me on the track of life I should have been smart enough was mine years ago.

I found a bunch of classes on writing that I wanted to take, and did a mild sticker shock reflex when I realized that the one creative writing class I wanted to take the most would be $364. So, then I started looking at others and found that I can become a Technical Writer for about $1600. I was really happy when I found that one, since it's writing and it pays well.

THEN, I got even happier when I found a college that offers liberal arts courses-- Marylhurst. I'd remembered from years ago a friend mentioning that they offered writing classes and went to take a look. They have a program for obtaining your BA in English Literature, which is my ultimate dream, with the availability of emphasis on Creative Writing.

Today, I took a look at their page once again and realized how much it would cost and went into serious sticker shock.

Where the previous class I wanted was $364 total, EACH CREDIT at Marylhurst is that amount. Which means, that for a 4 credit class, not including books, I'm looking at about $1500 PER CLASS!!

For a BA, it would take about 180 credits, which roughly translates to $75,000 with books.

Okay, so goodbye BA in English Lit, lol. But, technical writing certificate is still available for $1600.

That meant that I needed to figure out how I was going to pay for it, which is why, at 7pm this evening, my husband was choking on his beer as I explained that I was going to sell his sperm for $100 per shot. No sex for the next 16 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment