Custom Search

Monday, January 22, 2007

You Haven’t Lived Until You’ve Had 3 Nurses Inside You!

I was thinking back to the day that the short person joined us in this world on St. Patrick's Day nearly 3 years ago. I don't know why or what brought it on, but I was thinking about labor.

There used to be a guy at work that kept telling me how much it would hurt and how I'd be screaming for drugs before it was over. I'd just laugh and say... "Na! It'll be fine. No drugs for me." And he'd laugh with the all knowing eye of a husband that watched his wife give birth.

When I checked into the hospital I was already dilated to a 5, but I wasn't in labor. They still had to give me petocin. Contractions started... well, contractions that I could feel... started after about three hours and soon I was dilated to a 7.5, but still no pain. I could feel my belly tighten and that was weird, but no pain.

By that time my Doctor was joking with me about whether it hurt me if I cut myself open with a rusty knife. She also kept asking me if I needed to push. I thought it was such an odd question because as far as I knew my water hadn't even broken yet.

About an hour later the nurses decided that the little baby short person needed to have something on her head. Three of them stuck their hands in there and started moving things around.

Oh pain... Pain, pain, pain. I don't think my internal organs are back in place yet, after three years, from that excursion.

Like I said, you haven't lived until you've had 3 nurses inside of you.

And after all that, I wound up having a C-section. The uh... best of both worlds. Right?

Anyway, like I said, I don't know why I started thinking about that. Probably because I'm really excited about her birthday party this year and have already started the planning phase. I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment