Custom Search

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Short Person and the Commercial Age

Presents were precariously stacked on top of the dining room table, every surface filled, as I struggled to cut off a piece of wrapping paper from the three foot roll. It dangled precariously over the table, wobbling as my scissors sliced through it, and I grumbled under my breath at the complete lack of space our small house afforded for such projects.

Short Person heard my mumbling and wandered over, leaning against the table and watching with concern as her mother struggled to do a job she believed should have been a tad easier. "You know, Mom... They have this thing. It's called a 'Gift Wrap Cutter' and you just put it on the wrapping paper and it slices right through."

"Really?" I asked, wondering how on earth she knew this. "Does Aunt Anjee have one?"

"No." She paused, still watching as I wobbled toward the end with the scissors. "It's purple... and it kinda... makes cutting easier and faster. And you know? It's safer than scissors and you can cut straight lines and everything!" She looked at me with wide eyes, conveying her message of hope even after the words stopped.

"Well... that sounds... like a marvelous device." I responded, wondering where she got the intuition that whatever this device was it would be all of those things. Wondering where she may have even seen it in the first place.

"It's at the store. I could show you where, okay?"

I replied that I looked forward to checking out the object with her on our next shopping excursion and went back to wrapping presents as she meandered back into the living room to play.

It wasn't until a few hours later, cooking dinner and watching television while I did so, that the commercial came on for the Scotch Gift Wrap Cutter "designed for safety" and "making cutting easy, fast, and fun".

*********

A couple days later, LJS wandered into the kitchen while I was doing dishes. "So, Short Person says that we need to buy some type of lotion. Something about it stopping the itching?" He looked at me with confused concern.

"Does her skin itch?" I asked, worried, and looked back at her as she wandered into the room. "Honey, does your skin itch?"

"No, Mom." She said, with an impatient sigh. "I just think we need to get some lotion to make your skin 'silky smooth' and to 'stop the itching'."

"Oh. Okay... Honey, if your skin is itchy we can put some lotion on it after dinner, alright?"

"Okay."

She wandered off, leaving LJS and I somewhat perplexed at the conversation. A few days after that, a commercial came on for Eucerin. A lotion to make skin "silky smooth" and "stop the itch".

*********

It has been incredibly cold in Oregon lately. Colder than I remember it being, for longer than I remember it being. At night, our routine has consisted of the big jobs of dinner and huddling on the couch trying to stay warm during the coldest nights. I've taken to wearing layers of clothing, while Short Person has taken to an attempted blanket wearing.

"You know, Mom... They make this blanket thing that has SLEEVES! I saw it!"

"Oh really?" I asked. "Do you and Grandma Alice cuddle in it together?"

"No."

"Oh, does Grandma Alice wear it while reading a book?"

"No."

"Grandma Linda?"

"No... I just saw it."

I watched as she walked away to cuddle up in a blanket. I'd known about the blanket with sleeves thing from a pattern or catalog or something, but couldn't figure out where Shortie would have seen it.

A few weeks later, a commercial came on for the "Snuggie Fleece Blanket" a "blanket with sleeves".

I was starting to see a trend.

The strange thing is that not every commercial gets her attention. It is only specific ones, and usually only products she really thinks we need.

My skin itches a lot. I barely escape a week without a bout of hives brought on by the latex in my socks or bra or other mysterious item I forgot to check. Barely a night goes by that we aren't huddled in a blanket trying to stay warm while also reading a book or attempting to color, something that would be better accomplished if that blanket had sleeves. The gift wrap cutter for cutting long pieces of wrapping paper and ProActive for the "owies" on my face.

Each product useful, in its own way, to us.

It has been fun to watch. Two days ago, she came racing through the kitchen to peer up and over the counter and the small tv we have next to the stove, intent on the commercial playing. Something had grabbed her attention, but neither LJS or I could figure out what it was. She watched silently, paying close attention, and when it was over she wandered back to her desk to finish coloring. Not a word was spoken.

But you can see it there, in the concentrated look, that she's filing it away for future reference-- just in case a situation arises where that product might be needed...

Incidentally, the Commercial age has its downfalls. One of these downfalls is the closed spectrum that it has brought with it. While you and I might be able to see around the products flashing lights, she is convinced that the product she has seen is the only one that will cure, help, or clothe.

She really, really wants a blanket with sleeves, but regrets that they only come in red, blue, or black. I asked if she'd want pink, thinking that even if I couldn't sew a lick, my sister would be able to zip together two pieces of fleece lickity-split. "No, Mom. They don't COME in pink!"

Little mind expanding, I can't wait for the day that it takes the leap outside the box. I'm going to love watching where your imagination takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment