Custom Search

Monday, February 22, 2010

Photo 133 - "Dear Tooth Fairy"



Naturally, one of the events that follows the loss of a tooth is a visit by the Tooth Fairy. In conversation with Short Person, upon first discovery of her extremely loose tooth, I asked what she wanted the Tooth Fairy to bring her... I can safely state for the record that I never expected her answer. As with most of our important discussions, this one happened in the car.

"So, what do you hope the Tooth Fairy brings you?" I asked, expecting that she'd respond money. My attempt to see what her expectations were.

"I want her to bring me tickets to Disneyland!" She responded in her chirpy, happy voice.

I laughed. "I don't think that's going to happen." I hoped my voice contained the perfect combination of 'yeah, right' mixed with 'you're crazy dreaming!'

"Okay, then I want two hundred and fif-a-tee dollars."

I busted out laughing, then choked it back in a too late attempt to hide it. "Honey, the Tooth Fairy isn't that rich. She only brings a few dollars."

She thought on this for awhile, not saying much more in the remaining minutes of the ride home, but when we pulled into the driveway she finally said, "Okay, how about $5.00?"

I responded that this amount was probably more reasonable, but in the end only the Tooth Fairy could decide how much the enamel of her tooth was worth.

Later that evening, she lost the tooth. She decided that she wanted to bring it to school the next day for sharing and post-pone the Fairy visit. By the end of the following day, she had decided that what she really wanted was computer time (the note actually says that she wants to play the "dressing game"). So, I had her write the Tooth Fairy a note with that request.

Final price of one first baby tooth? One coupon for two hours of computer time, one coupon for a trip to the library, and $2.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment