Custom Search

Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Sad Day for the Appliance King

I had a very peculiar day yesterday. It started with klutziness, escalated to verbal faux pas, and ended with an eyebrow raising comment from LJ.

Let's start with klutzy, since I was much more klutzy than usual. I kept walking or bumping into things. I must have a half-dozen bruises right now, but those are nothing to the damage that I did to the electric skillet.

Happily resting on the dish towel next to the sink to dry, it was completely unprepared for the side-swipe walk-by that I gave it. Sadly, this lack of stability led to it breaking into about 20 pieces-- right before we needed to use it.

Now, for those of you that know my husband, you know that he is pretty much the appliance king of the world. There is not an appliance out there that he doesn't think we need, be it a hand mixer, tortilla warmer, or pizza cooker, we need it. So to see his beloved electric skillet meet its doom was almost more than he could bear.

As a matter of fact, I have been charged with certain death if I do not replace it immediately or sooner.

I tried to apologize, really I did, but I think that my apology lacked a little sincerity when instead of saying, "I'm really sorry, Honey, I'm having a klutzy day", it came out as, "I'm really sorry, Honey, I'm having a slutty day".

LOL... I swear, there are not many people that can beat me in the verbal faux pas department.

I would have liked to think that maybe he didn't hear this comment, but my hopes were shattered after dinner. After we puzzle pieced the skillet together so that he could cook hamburgers on it, by the way. Is there something wrong with a frying pan that I am unaware of? I didn't complain because it meant that instead of having to wash it, I got to throw it away. WooHoo! Anything to save me from scrubbing. LOL... but I digress.

As I said, I would have liked to think that maybe he hadn't heard the slut comment except that we were having a few different discussions after dinner. One was about a friend of mine and condoms, and another was about how depressed I had been about the loss of time I was going to get to spend with a friend of mine. LJ was trying to console me by telling me that I still had Short Person and him and another friend of mine (the one we had just talked about).

And that's when he sprang it! The knowledge that he had heard my screw up. Right after telling me that I still had this other friend, he told me that "if I ever had sex with this friend, I'd better use a condom". Exclamation Point thrice!

Oui Vey!

I laughed pretty hard at that one. Jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment