Custom Search

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fuel Efficiency at Its Best

My car is in serious need of gas- or, at least if I judge by the orange little indicator light that glows on the dashboard like a jack-o-lantern on Halloween, it is. Of course, I might also gather that information from the little needle that is holding steady right below the "E" and just about the little pole thing that lets you know you are basically screwed.

It isn't that I can't afford to get gas, or that there aren't a plethora of service stations abounding the area, it's that... I just don't want to. I don't know why. I just don't want to.

Unfortunately, sooner or later, my car will run out of gas. Not only that, but if I let it go much more, I will have to sit through an hour lecture about fuel injectors and carburetors and... car things I just don't want to know about. And yet, I wait.

What this lack of willingness to pull my lazy ass over to the pumps means though is that I must force myself to come up with alternative ways to stretch the existing gasoline fumes as far as they will go. A feat that I am proud to say, I seem to be accomplishing.

I will zoom up the street for about two second at 40mph and then coast for as long as I can. Usually, this is about five blocks and must then give it more gas or come to a halt. Although some might consider this speeding, I figure that since I'm usually doing 10mph by the time I hit the gas again, it all evens out to right around the speed limit.

Going downhill is a breeze, and I'm quite ecstatic over the fact that I must once in awhile hit the brake for fear of going too fast. But uphill? Uphill is my enemy.

But eventually, I will need gas. And then, then I will go back to driving with confidence down highways.

Just... not now. Now, I execute my small planet saving techniques. I will see how far I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment