Custom Search

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Photo 68 - Rest in Peace, Drea

I met Andrea, Drea as most of the Dreadnaughts called her, online. A group of women who were brought together by the love of one author, Judith McNaught. Later, I was privileged enough to meet her and spend time with her in person.

While you can get to know someone online, it isn't quite the same as being with them in person. Andrea was funny and witty and caring and smart online and in person, but in person she also had a spark of life that impacted everyone she met. Even years later, I can still remember with such clarity moments of being with her. In Houston, meeting Clay, her smiling and laughing at something being said while I took their picture. In Vegas, looking over her shoulder at me, her tiara sitting somewhat angled on her head and the feather boa wrapped around her shoulders. In a hotel room as she lay on the bed, a tired smile on her face.

The images are so strong in my head that I thought maybe I had photos of the moments and spent the weekend looking for them. But, I don't. They are memories in my mind that add substance to how indelible her spirit was.

Today, she lost her battle with cancer.

I hate cancer.

Something Wonderful was Drea's book. She was the Duchess of Hawthorne, in every way. For me, there will be no other that can remove her from that position. So here I sit, on the couch, tucking the photos I do have of her into the book, thinking...

Andrea, every time we looked at you we saw something truly wonderful. Rest in peace and may the heavens be lit with your smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment