Custom Search

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Photo 75 - Birthday... Cake?



Each month, the City celebrates the birthdays for the month. Usually, we celebrate with cake and ice cream, but this year, we were asked if we had a preference. I'm not a big cake eater, so I requested Rice Krispie Treats.

This is not the first time I've requested them in lieu of the traditional frosted fare. No, that happened years ago with my mom. I wanted RK Treats and told my mom as much and when we got together for my birthday, I was disappointed to see her carrying out a large sheet cake.

I tried to put on a happy smile while everyone sang "Happy Birthday" and I blew out my candles, but inside I was rather disappointed. The one time I'd requested something, and I still got cake. At least, I figured, it was going to be carrot cake which was a close second to RK Treats, but... I don't know. I wanted the treats, ya know?

I blew out my candles and my mom handed me a knife and cake server and asked me to start dishing out cake to everyone. What happened next can only be explained by exhaustion, high-blood sugar coma, or a long-time questionable faith in my mom's cooking, but it was really hard to cut the cake. I literally had to saw into it!

I remember thinking maybe she'd burned the cake. I remember thinking after a few minutes that maybe she'd frosted Rice Krispie Treats for me. I never in my life would have conceived of what she'd actually done!

When my mom returned from her trip to the kitchen to get plates or somesuch, she stopped short in the living room and busted up laughing, almost as much from the fact that I'd tried for so long and so hard to cut the "cake" that I'd actually cut it, as to her practical joke.

She walked over to me, picked up the frosting (yes, that's right, the frosting), revealing a cake pan of RK Treats.

She'd frosted and decorated a box lid.

No comments:

Post a Comment