Custom Search

Friday, May 28, 2010

Photo 167 - Short Person Graduates from Kindergarten

Today was not the last day of school. No, the last day of school is Tuesday. But, today was Kindergarten Graduation. It was the day that the kids had a field trip to Top Spin, where they'd sing a medley of songs they had learned throughout the year, the day they received their certificates, and the day that gifts were presented to the teachers. It's a fun day and one that I took off from work so that I could attend. The only day I was able to take off and attend.

The day started with Chapel and then a field trip to TopSpin. Since I was running late with having the gift ready for presentation, I decided to skip Chapel and sit in the classroom inserting pages into the album and gift-wrapping. It also presented the opportunity to get to know one of the parents that I had managed to miss all year. Then, once Chapel was done, we left for the events of the day.

At TopSpin, the kids received a tennis lesson. It was a lot of fun to watch them learn, and by the end of the hour I was amazed at how much an hour had taught them. Each and every child was able to hit the ball with the racket, including Short Person.



After the tennis lesson, we headed to the park for our picnic. The kids played in the park for a little while and then we ate a wonderful fare of pizza, watermelon, strawberries, juice, chips, brownies, cookies... It was yummy and wonderful. And then afterward, it was time to Graduate.

One word on graduation-- Mess. I was a mess. I am often thankful for my camera because it gives me something else to focus on other than the moment. I know there are times when I should be present and focused, but there are others when you realize that you've already made one teacher cry and maybe enough is enough and you should check out a bit. Now was that time. I'd already gotten emotional the night before with one of her teachers over how fast time goes. We both spent time acknowledging that our kids were growing up faster than what we were prepared.

We listened to the kids sing, and then watched as they each received their "diplomas".



After the presentation of the certificates, we presented Short Person's teacher with her gifts. She opened the scrapbook and looked through it. All the kids and parents looking on. It was a very happy, relieved, proud moment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment