Custom Search

Friday, April 20, 2007

"She Raised the Seat" / Mr. Cutie at the Coffee Shop

Virginia Tech.

I don't think I need to mention much more than the name on this one. We all know how horrific the set of circumstances that surrounded April 16th are and we've all felt sorrow for the parents and friends of the people injured and killed. I mostly just put it there so you'd know how I started thinking about this.

Leave it to me to find humor in the most horrifying of circumstances.

I've read the bios of the people that were killed and fought the fear that all parents feel when a child is killed. I've prayed for Short Person's safety and held her close, AND...

I've thought about my own obituary. What would my friends and family say about me if I were killed in similar circumstances?

I haven't done anything extraordinary, I don't really have a talent, unless you consider a weird fascination with sex "talent" (LOL... my husband might though, I suppose), and I'm not a philanthropist that affected millions of lives. So, where does that leave me?

I thought, and I thought, and I thought, and I keep coming back to the only thing that a friend said to me that stuck out as being something that might come up. See, I am friends with a male that lives alone. My theory is that if in a woman's apartment the respectful thing to do would be to put the seat down, then in a man's house the respectful thing to do is leave the seat up... well, I'm going to leave the seat up.

So, as best I can figure, if they ask him to describe me, his words will be "She left the seat up."

*************************************

I had a very odd thing happen at the coffee shop today. I was standing in line behind this really cute guy who was dressed in shorts, a t-shirt with a running jacket, and a baseball cap. I listened to him order a vanilla latte and broccoli and bacon quiche. When the girl pulled out the quiche I spoke to her and said "I'd like one too, so if it saves you some time you could..." She interrupted me to tell me there was only one piece left.

I asked what kind and she told me, and I immediately changed my mind on the quiche. Mr. Cutie then said, "Oh, you can have it. I'll take one of the others."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, I didn't have my heart set on it."

"Thank you." I replied and then went about ordering my drink. A vanilla latte.

Mr. Cutie is standing at the counter waiting for his drink and he looks at the day old bread. "Hey, I'd like to get this too."

The whole scenario was so similar to what I do every morning that it was WEIRD. It was like two twins ordering the same thing and going through the same motions. I swear the guy was even the same age as I am.

Match.com at the coffee shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment