Custom Search

Sunday, July 6, 2008

A LONG night at the Emergency Room

For the past 5 days, Short Person has been having abdominal pain. It looked to be in the lower abdomen, just below her belly button. We figured it was constipation since we have a devil of a time getting the kid to eat anything with fiber in it and have been treating it as such.

On Tuesday, when it first started, we gave her caffeine and lots of water, which produced a bowel movement the next morning. Wednesday, she was reportedly fine until we got home and the cramping started again. Again, we figured constipation. Gave her more water and some coffee, hoping for the immediate reaction. Thursday night, she continued with the cramping. So much so that I decided Friday to take her, instead of me, to my Doctor appointment on Saturday. By mid-Friday though, she was in agony and we resorted to prune juice and I purchased a box of Ex-Lax.

To make a long story a little shorter, the box of Ex-Lax said not to give it to her if she had abdominal pain, so I didn't. We rode out the day by giving her warm baths and tummy rubs and lots of prune juice.

Saturday morning, as we were getting ready to leave for the Doctors, she had a bowl movement. We all cheered as she sat on the toilet yelling, "My poops coming out! My poops coming out!". Hooray we all thought.

Since I told her that she was going to the Doctor, and she's a bit of a hypochondriac anyway, she wanted to go with me still. So, I took her and had her checked out. About half way through the appointment, her tummy started hurting again. Dr. Christie said that it was probably constipation and told me to give her a glycerin suppository. Went to Bi-Mart and purchased some pediatric ones. Got home and put it in.

This was at 10:15am.

At 2:00pm, we were supposed to leave to meet J & K for an afternoon showing of WALL-E. At 12:00pm, I had to call and cancel because she was still having cramping.At this point, nothing had come of the suppository.

At 3:00pm, she started cramping for two hours, crying and writhing on the floor.

Called Dr. Christie who informed us to take her to the ER because this was not constipation.

And now, our story begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment