Custom Search

Monday, July 28, 2008

The Question of Doggie Heritage

A few days ago, I was scrambling around cleaning house and went to get one of the blankets that resides on the corner of the couch picked up and put back in place. The problem was that I didn't realize our dog, Heidi, was curled up sleeping in it.

I pulled on the blanket and out tumbles 12lbs of white dog hair and one very groggy dog, who looked like she was trying to figure out how her world tumbled around so violently... in mid-air.

Tonight, as we made the bed, I was tossing re-pillowcased pillows onto the bed and managed to toss one onto the same dog. LJS let out a tearful wail, "Don't hurt my dog!", to which I responded, "Ah Honey, what's wrong? Did I hurt your girlfriend."

It's a long-running joke between the two of us. One dog is skinny and shy, the other fat and sassy. The skinny and shy one (Sammy) clings more to me and Heidi clings to LJS. So much so that when we are cuddling, she'll get her nose in there and force us apart and then stick her paw on him and glare at me!

Sheesh. Sammy just used to try and help (but that's another story for another time).

Anyway, the battle about who's dog was who's ensued, but this time it had an added twist by way of a 4-year-old who felt it necessary to intervene.

"No, Mom. Sammy is our dog." Impatiently, she started to climb on the bed between us, looking all the part of the child that had to constantly keep her parents from fighting (incidentally, I have no idea where that comes from-- we are always trying to explain that a discussion is not a fight and a playful argument is not mom and dad trying to get sent to the corner).

I looked at LJS. "See, he's Meg's and My dog."

"No, Mom. He's daddy's and yours and mine."

"Oh. Okay, well then whose dog is Heidi?" I asked, innocently enough, figuring she's say that Heidi was Daddy's. But instead a very gusty and sardonic voice, responded...

"I don't know!"

LOL... I know that may not make sense to many people, but the easiest way to describe it is to say... they are the epidemy of sibling rivalry!

No comments:

Post a Comment