Custom Search

Monday, November 27, 2006

"Damn It!"

A few months ago, my daughter picked up a new phrase. A phrase she loved to use. Any time she would hurt herself, drop a toy, just get mad, or need Cheerios, the words "Damn it" would erupt from her mouth as though she were enthusiastically happy.

Somewhere, there is even video evidence of this fact.

The short person was playing outside at our family reunion. As her little cousin prepared to go down the slide, my daughter had the bright idea to go and sit at the bottom of it. She got tagged in the leg by two feet. Not hard, but hard enough to propel her out of her seat and proceed to grab her leg and hop around the ground saying, "Damn it, damn it, damn it!"

For two months, I followed her around correcting her "Damn it!'s" with "Darn it's" and it worked. Until last Thursday when we had dinner with my in laws. Now, she's back to saying it... but this time, she's smarter. Now, she's correcting me. The other day, I said "Darn it" and my daughter walked over to me, grabbed my cheeks (I was kneeling at the time), pulled my face up to look directly at her, and said "No Mom... it's DAMN it."

LOL

This same day, we were trying to get her to eat something other than crackers. She was resisting, so I joked with her, "What are you going to do when Mommy and Daddy say you have to eat all your vegetables and go to bed on time?"

I watched as her face went through a few emotions, her eyes looking towards the heavens for a divine answer. Me, I wasn't really expecting one, she's two after all, but she surprised us. After short contemplation, she looked at me and said, "I would cry, Mom. I would cry."

No comments:

Post a Comment