Custom Search

Friday, November 3, 2006

Short Person and the Man in Our House

Short person was playing in her bedroom last night gathering up toys to bring into the living room. She kept coming to get me saying that she was scared. I didn't think much of it, as this is a new word for her and I am not sure she really knows what it means.

On the final exit of her room, she came scurrying into the living room saying that the man was being really noisy and that she was scared. I asked "What man?"

"The man's scary."

"Where is the man? Is he in your bedroom?"

No answer.

"Is he on the tv?"

"No."

"Is he in the living room?"

"No."

"Is the man daddy?"

"The man's scary."

"Is the man daddy?"

"No. I need to give my daddy a hug. Daddy, I'm scared."

My husband got up and picked her up to comfort her and reassure her that daddy would take care of her and she didn't need to be scared, while at the same time letting the dogs go outside for a potty break. He left the slider open and about 30 seconds go by when they start growling at something.

"Is the man outside?"

"No."

Hubby goes back to the door to investigate, unable to determine what has set the dogs off, and I continue my questioning.

"Is the man in your bedroom?" I ask, really starting to worry that my daughter inherited the sensitivity I seem to have lost when I gave birth to her. She never answered the question, just hid on my lap burying her face in my shoulder for about five minutes before asking to watch a show.

How in the hell do you protect your child from something you cannot see, hear, or feel? I don't want her to be afraid of her bedroom-- it's supposed to be her sanctuary.

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment